Whether you’re heading off for a cross-country family retreat or just joining friends at the beach and a BBQ, you might want to keep your eyes out this Independence Day Holiday weekend. You never know when or where you might run into some odd things along the way – notably some unusual road signs. The right one just might win you a big prize in the TheDetroitBureau.com’s 1st Annual Wild, Weird and Wacky Street Signs Contest!
We’ve spotted plenty of them during our own travels — like one in a small California town that warned of an unlikely obstacle: “Algae Ahead!” Some offer good – if humorous – advice. Others, well, sometimes we aren’t quite sure what a sign is trying to tell us – or why. It is an election year, of course, and it seems like everyone has something to say about politics. And sometimes a sign will generate a giggle just by telling us where we are or where we’re going.
We’re betting our readers have their own favorites – lots of them, in fact – and we’d love to hear what you’ve come across in your own travels. To add a little encouragement, we’ll offer some great prizes for the best entries in our Wild, Weird and Wacky Street Names Contest. These include
- A $500 gift certificate from Bridgestone Tires;
- A semi-pro digital camera you can take along on your next trip just in case you spot something unusual;
- A portable navigation system including real-time traffic advisories;
- And some great collectibles from automakers like Nissan and Porsche, among others.
It’s easy to enter. Simply send a JPEG image to StreetSignsContest@TheDetroitBureau.com. Yes, you’ll have a leg up on your competition with a photo – and one that hasn’t been retouched. We’ll also want to know where you saw that wild, weird or wacky sign.
The 1st Annual Wild, Weird and Wacky Street Signs Contest! is open now and entries will be accepted until Friday, August 17, 2012. TheDetroitBureau.com will choose 10 of the best entries and then ask our readers to vote for the winners. They’ll receive the prizes listed above. Winners will be announced over the Labor Day holiday.
Here are the rest of our very simple rules:
- All signs need to be real and verifiable, so while you may give us a laugh any we at TheDetroitBureau.com cannot validate will ultimately be rejected.
- While they might make us laugh, doctored pics will be grounds for immediate rejection, and may lead to having your PhotoShop license revoked.
- You must have rights to your images. We will not consider or use images lifted off the Internet or those where ownership rights might be in question.
- Where duplicate signs are supplied, winners will be selected by dumb luck.
- This is an absolutely non-scientific contest. We’ll base all choices on how much we laugh or gasp, how much we shock our families and friends, and eventually, we’ll ask our readers to vote on 10 to a dozen finalists. But in the end, all decisions are those of the editors of TheDetroitBureau.com and are non-disputable. Digital entries will not be returned, though we may forward them to our friends on Facebook.
- We encourage our employees and immediate family members to weigh in with offerings of their own, but they are ineligible to win, as are employees and immediate family of TheDetroitBureau.com’s partners and advertisers.
- Do not submit photo files larger than 1 megabyte.
- All submissions become the property of TheDetroitBureau.com.
- Oh, and please make sure we have a valid e-mail or other contact information. You can’t win if we can’t reach you!