According to our research, CARCHEX offers the best extended warranty for cars over 100k miles.
If you’re looking to extend the protection you got with your manufacturer’s warranty beyond the 100,000-mile mark, an extended warranty plan may be just what you’re looking for. Several third-party warranty companies offer extended warranty coverage for high-mileage vehicles. Our experts wanted to see which of these providers offered the best extended warranty for cars over 100k miles, so we took a deep dive into company policies, rates, reviews and even the fine print.
Here’s a look at what our team thinks are the best extended car warranty companies as well as information about taking care of your high-mileage car.
Best Extended Warranty for Cars With Over 100K Miles
The best extended warranty for a car with over 100K miles may not be the same for every driver. Every provider offers different lengths and levels of coverage for high-mileage vehicles. We took a close look at some of our top-rated extended auto warranty companies to decide which offers the best coverage options for older cars. Among our top-rated providers, we found several companies that covered vehicles well beyond 100K miles.
High Mileage Car Warranty Company: Ratings
Extended car warranty providers typically have a mileage limit in which they will no longer cover your vehicle. The table below compares the mileage limit of several popular providers. While many providers cover a vehicle beyond 100,000 miles, but CARCHEX, Endurance and CarShield are high mileage car warranty companies with the highest mileage limits, each of which extends coverage well beyond 100k miles.
Best Extended Warranty For High Mileage Cars: Comparison
|Extended Warranties for Cars Over 100k Miles||Our Review Score||Number of Coverage Levels||Highest Coverage Limit|
|1. CARCHEX||9.4 / 10.0||5||250,000 miles|
|2. Endurance||9.6 / 10.0||6||250,000+ miles|
|3. CarShield||9.0 / 10.0||6||300,000 miles|
Best High Mileage Car Warranty
Extended warranties for cars over 100k miles are the best high mileage care warranties. Below are descriptions of the coverage, plans, cost, and claims offered by our top pics for extended vehicle warranties for cars over 100,000 miles:
CARCHEX: Best for High-Mileage Cars
CARCHEX offers extended warranty plans that are tailored toward vehicles with over 100,000 miles. We’ve rated the company the top extended warranty provider in this category. The company stands out for offering highly customizable plans that can cover nearly any repair.
CARCHEX has 5 extended warranty plans that can be modified to fit your needs. CARCHEX offers coverage for vehicles with up to 250,000 miles. For cars with over 100k miles, you may be best off by choosing a lower-tier plan that primarily covers the most expensive repairs.
With a CARCHEX extended warranty, you’ll be able to choose from a network with over 30,000 licensed repair facilities. Since CARCHEX pays repair expenses directly to the shop, you won’t be expected to pay out of pocket in the event of a breakdown.
CARCHEX plans have a 30-day money-back guarantee, so down payments won’t be required. Additionally, CARCHEX is partnered with several top-rated insurance administrators who compete for your business, meaning you’ll get the best coverage and price possible.
CARCHEX extended warranties are available for all new and used vehicles, including high mileage cars and hybrids.
- Titanium: This is a bumper to bumper plan with very few exclusions that covers all parts on your vehicle for up to 10 years.
- Platinum: The CARCHEX platinum plan is the second-highest coverage tier offered by the provider that lasts from 5-10 years. This comprehensive inclusionary contract has hundreds of covered components. Due to the level of coverage offered in this plan, all not every vehicle may be eligible.
- Gold: The CARCHEX Gold plan covers all of a vehicle’s major systems for up to 5-10 years. CARCHEX gold is a great option for cars with over 60k miles with factory warranties that have expired. This extremely customizeable plan is considered to have the best
- Silver: CARCHEX Silver plans cover a vehicles major systems for 6-7 years. This includes the powertrain, electrical and fuel systems, and the A/C. This protects vehicles from common repairs that are often needed by cars with over 100k miles.
- Bronze: The most basic plan offered by the provider, CARCHEX Bronze is a great fit for cars with over 100k miles. This plan provides coverage for 5-6 years and protects vehicles from the most common and expensive breakdowns and powertrain components, including the engine, drivetrain, drive axle, and transmission.
Benefits that come with CARCHEX extended warranties include trip interruption services, 24/7 roadside assistance, towing, and rental car reimbursement. CARCHEX customers can choose between 30,000 repair shops nationwide. Because CARCHEX pays claims directly to the facility, you won’t have to wait too long to be reimbursed.
CARCHEX has thousands of positive online reviews and industry endorsements. The cost of a CARCHEX extended warranty for a vehicle with over 100k miles depends on various factors like your vehicle’s make, model, age, and mileage.
Our review team rated CARCHEX the best choice for older vehicles due to the following:
- Notable industry partnerships: CARCHEX partners with many major players in the industry, including Edmunds.com, Kelley Blue Book, and CARFAX.
- A+ rating and accreditation from the Better Business Bureau (BBB): CARCHEX’s strong BBB rating and accreditation demonstrates leadership in the extended warranty industry.
- National media recognition: CARCHEX has been featured by national media outlets such as PBS, Fox News, CBS, and NBC as an expert in consumer automotive protection.
- Long contract terms: At 250,000 miles, CARCHEX offers the longest coverage terms among any top provider we have reviewed.
Knowledgeable customer service
Large network of authorized repair facilities
Many industry endorsements and partnerships
No-Haggle, Low-Price, Everyday Guarantee™
Limited coverage for luxury vehicles
Exclusionary coverage not as comprehensive as other warranties
Additional charges for hybrid/electric vehicles
Read our complete CARCHEX review to learn more about why we chose the provider as the best extended warranty for cars over 100K miles.
Endurance: Best Provider
Endurance is a good option because it focuses on serving drivers of high-mileage vehicles. The provider can insure vehicles with up to 200,000 miles.
As a direct extended warranty provider, Endurance administers the warranties it sells instead of acting as a middleman. This is one of the reasons Endurance is regarded as having some of the best customer service in the industry.
All of the 6 levels of coverage offered by Endurance can last over 200,000 miles, making this provider one of the top high mileage providers in the market.
- Supreme: Bumper to bumper protection similar to a new car warranty.
- Superior: A comprehensive exclusionary plan that covers hundreds of important parts.
- Secure Plus: With a shorter waiting period than most plans, Endurance secure plus provides quick coverage for parts like the brakes, electrical system, and steering.
- Secure: An affordable plan that covers the most important parts for your cars performance at an affordable price.
- Select Premier: This is the most basic high mileage extended warranty offered by Endurance, covering the most basic components needed for a vehicle to run.
- Endurance Advantage: This is Endurance’s version of mechanical breakdown insurance. Endurance advantage also covers maintenance expenses like engine diagnostics and oil changes.
With Endurance, customers receive additional benefits like rental car coverage, trip interruption benefits, and roadside assistance for the entire warranty period. Every Endurance plan also comes with a free year of Elite Benefits, which includes tire repairs, key fob replacements, collision deductibles, and several other benefits.
One negative thing about Endurance is the 60-day waiting period you must adhere to prior to filing a claim. The Endurance secure plus plan is an exception to this rule. Besides this minor issue, most people looking for the best extended car warranty for cars over 100k miles will find Endurance to be a top-notch provider.
Endurance was named No. 1 in the market by our review team and carries these notable accolades:
- 2019 Stevie Award – Great Employer: Endurance was recognized as a Great Employer at the 2019 Stevie Awards for its “impressive set of employee benefits and activities.”
- 2019 Inc. 5000 Company: Inc. magazine listed Endurance in its 2019 annual Inc. 5000, a ranking of the United States’ 5000 fastest-growing private companies.
- Partnership with Andretti MotorSports: Endurance was announced as the primary sponsor of Jarett Andretti’s McLaren in the Pirelli GT4 Americas Sprint Class for the 2020 season. Andretti MotorSports is one of the most successful auto racing companies in the world, so this partnership is impressive.
Beyond its reputation, Endurance offers comprehensive coverage and benefits, as well as competitive pricing. The Endurance Elite Benefits is included free for the first year and includes perks like tire repairs and replacements, key fob replacements, and identity theft protection. Those can be valuable for cars over 100K miles.
Friendly customer service
Personal assistant and other perks through Endurance Elite Benefits
Generous roadside assistance
B- rating from the BBB
60-day waiting period for some plans
If you want to learn more about this provider, read our in-depth Endurance warranty review.
CarShield: Most Affordable
CarShield is trusted by over a million drivers because it is known for providing reliable coverage at an affordable price. Most importantly, CarShield offers plans for vehicles with up to 300,000 miles. CarShield is also highly transparent about its pricing, and it even displays sample contracts on its website.
CarShield has 6 extended warranty coverage plans:
- Diamond: CarShield diamond is a bumper to bumper warranty similar to a factory limited warranty. CarShield Diamond provides exclusionary coverage, meaning every component on the vehicle is covered except those that are specifically listed.
- Platinum: The CarShield Platinum plan is the company’s comprehensive inclusionary warranty, which includes hundreds of covered components. CarShield platinum covers many of the engine’s most important parts, including the engine, transmission, electrical system, steering, cooling system, air conditioning, and braking system.
- Gold: CarShield gold is CarShield’s powertrain plus plan. This plan provides protection for your vehicle’s engine, transmission, water pump, alternator a/c, starter, and more.
- Silver: CarShield Silver is the most basic powertrain extended warranty that covers all the engine’s lubricated parts, water pump, drive axle, and transmission.
- Aluminum: The CarShield Aluminum plan is best suited for luxury cars and vehicles with complex electronics. This includes power seats, voice activation, sensors, guages, GPS, sensors, and more.
- Specialty Plan: This plan is a specialized plan that covers motorcycles and ATVs.
Perhaps the best feature of CarShield plans is the option to choose month-to-month payment plans. With this plan, customers can cancel at the end of the month before the payment term renews.
CarShield stands out as a good choice for an extended warranty for cars over 100K miles for the following reasons:
- Customizable pricing: Plans with low deductibles or no deductible are available.
- Broad repair shop network: Customers can use any ASE-certified mechanic to get auto repairs.
- History in the industry: Unlike some competitors, CarShield has been in business for almost two decades. This shows our researchers that it’s a well-run warranty company that will be there when you need it.
High-tech and specialty vehicle coverage plansAllows repairs at your dealership or any mechanic certified by the National Institute for Automotive Service ExcellenceMonth-to-month extended auto warranty contracts
Mixed customer reviewsNot all contracts are transferable
Our CarShield review offers a more detailed description of coverage.
Protect My Car: Honorable Mention
Protect My Car offers an unlimited mileage plan that can cover the full cost of repairs for the remainder of a vehicle’s useful life. This plan covers vehicles for up to 300,000 miles. Protect My Car also stands out for being a direct warranty provider that can give its customers authentic OEM parts.
Excellent claims servicing
Quick customer service
Plans specifically for California customers
Coverage up to 150,000 miles
Lack of coverage for some luxury vehicles
High Mileage Car Warranty
It can be difficult to get a car warranty for cars that have high mileage, but not impossible. While we reviewed the best extended warranty for cars over 100k miles, some of the used car warranty companies we mentioned above offer car warranties for cars with far more than 100,000 miles. Since extended warranty eligibility periods are usually based on both age and mileage, there are many high mileage warranties for vehicles that are older as well.
High Mileage Warranty Companies
|Longest Extended Warranties for Cars Over 100K Miles||Coverage Limit|
|Infinite Auto Protection||140,000 miles|
|Protect My Car||125,000 miles|
Vehicle Warranty Over 200k Miles
The Endurance advantage plan is the highest tier of coverage offered by the Best Overall provider from our reviews and covers vehicles over 200k miles. CARCHEX, who we’ve rated as Best For Used Cars, offers warranties for cars with up to 250k miles.
Car Warranty Over 150,000 Miles
CarShield offers and affordable extended warranty over 150k miles, with a coverage limit ranging as high as 300,000 miles. Additionally, autopom! offers an extended car warranty for cars over 150k miles. While both of these car warranties aren’t rated quite as high as extended warranties from our top two providers, that offer coverage options that may be the best fit for some vehicle owners.
Unlimited Mileage Extended Warranty
Though they aren’t a pure traditional warranty, Protect My Car’s Ambassador Plans are a hybrid between an extended car warranty and a vehicle maintenance plan that will cover any vehicle, regardless of age or odometer readings. Along with discounts for benefits like oil changes, tire repairs, and roadside assistance, Protect My Car Ambassador plans come with a deductible that kicks in at around 50% of covered repairs. These unlimited mile extended warranties provide coverage for between 25 and 75 percent of common repairs.
Extended Warranties For Cars Over 100k Miles Cost
The average extended car warranty for used vehicles ranges from $350-$700 per year. Every car and policy is different as age and mileage are huge factors in determining extended car warranty cost. Generally, cars with higher age and miles have higher prices. That said, there are many providers who offer very affordable powertrain plans that are very affordable for cars with over 100k miles.
Is an Extended Warranty for a Car With Over 100K Miles Worth It?
Whether or not an extended warranty is worth it for you and your vehicle depends on your individual situation and your personal goals. If you cannot afford costly repairs and you would like to keep your vehicle for at least a couple more years, then an extended warranty might be worth the cost.
On the other hand, if you can afford expensive repair costs out of pocket and plan to purchase a different vehicle in the near future, an extended warranty is probably not worth the cost.
But for many, the main benefit of a vehicle service contract is simply peace of mind. With affordable payment plans, you can eliminate the anxiety of worrying about how to pay for the next big, expensive car repair.
Cars Over 100,000 Miles
If you have one of the vehicles that Forbes named as most likely to go at least 200,000 miles, you may consider looking for an extended car warranty for cars over 100K miles.
The study results validate what we have known for some time. Automakers are making increasingly dependable vehicles …Dave Sargent, vice president of global automotive at J.D. Power
- #1 Toyota Land Cruiser
- #2 Toyota Sequoia
- #3 Ford Expedition
- #4 Chevrolet Suburban
- #5 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
- #6 Chevrolet Tahoe
- #7 GMC Yukon XL
- #8 Toyota 4Runner
- #9 GMC Yukon
- #10 Honda Ridgeline
- #11 Toyota Tundra
- #12 Honda Odyssey
- #13 Toyota Avalon
- #14 Lincoln Navigator
- #15 Toyota Tacoma
Is 100k Miles a Lot for a Car?
For owners that would like to keep their vehicle, another consideration is whether you own a vehicle that is very likely to run for more than 100,000 miles. Fortunately, many vehicles are lasting longer as auto manufacturing technology has improved. The J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Vehicle Dependable StudySM begins by mentioning vehicle dependability is at an all-time high.
Common Problems for High-Mileage Vehicles
Unfortunately, cars that have over 100,000 miles are vulnerable to a variety of costly issues. Here are three common issues car owners experience with high-mileage vehicles and their respective costs.
- Transmission failure: As a car’s transmission gets older, it is more likely to fail. When this happens, an expensive repair is needed. For example, the average cost of a transmission replacement can range anywhere from $1,800 to $3,400.
- Suspension failure: A suspension is what keeps your vehicle riding smoothly. A suspension is made up of several different parts, and if one of these parts fails, it can be very expensive to replace. A new suspension can cost between $1,000 and $5,000 or more, depending on the type of suspension system.
- Camshaft failure: A camshaft controls how an engine takes in air. Over time, a camshaft can break if it gets overly filled with dirt and debris. When this happens, the replacement cost can be between $1,500 and $3,000.
Extended Warranty For Older Cars
Those driving older or classic cars have always wondered if they can get an extended warranty for their vehicles. This is because those cars no longer operate like before, and their owners are probably counting days until something wrong emerges.
In this case, car owners will inevitably pay for unexpected repairs out of pocket since the factory warranty might have expired. Unlike in the past, where extended warranties only covered newer cars, older car owners can get a classic car warranty coverage with the providers above, even in cases where vehicles have well over 100k miles.
Car owners, especially those driving older cars, probably know that as those vehicles cover more and more mileage, the risk of breaking down increases. In the case of an older car, an extended warranty can go a long way when the vehicle in question breaks down. It covers all the mechanical repair bills, giving you some peace of mind as you drive the car. However, one should note that an extended warranty for older vehicles doesn’t work in the same manner as insurance since insurance only covers the vehicle in an auto accident.
Used Car Warranty For Cars Over 10 Years Old
A vehicle’s age can heavily factor into your vehicle’s eligibility for an extended car warranty, sometimes even than high mileage. For example, if you have a car that is 10 years old and has 180,000 miles, it wouldn’t be eligible for an extended car warranty from most providers on the market. Of the extended warranty companies we reviewed, CARCHEX does offer a used car warranty for cars over 10 years old.
Classic Car Warranty
While classic car warranty coverage can be difficult to come by, it’s not impossible. Companies like Freedom Warranty offer classic car warranties for vehicles that are 10-20 years old. One major difference between classic car warranties and standard extended warranties is that the coverage periods for classic car warranties are often much shorter.
Why Have An Extended Warranty For Older Cars?
Though the age of a vehicle doesn’t really define how frequently it experiences problems, older cars have a higher likelihood of breaking down more often. Those driving older cars should consider getting extended warranties for unexpected cases to avoid paying bills from their own pockets. However, all vehicles need extended coverages since even new cars can experience challenges, so it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Mechanical Breakdown Insurance For High Mileage Cars
The Endurance Advantage plan is a form of mechanical breakdown insurance that covers vehicles up to 20 years old. Endurance’s mechanical breakdown insurance is unique because, along with mechanical breakdown insurance, it comes with maintenance benefits that cover manufacturer-recommended service intervals, tire rotations, oil and filter changes, brake pad replacements, cooling system maintenance, batteries, and wiper blades.
Auto Repair Insurance For Older Cars
Car repair insurance, which is often called mechanical breakdown insurance, covers the cost of repairing a vehicle’s mechanical issues after a warranty has expired. You can get breakdown insurance for older cars from auto insurance companies like Allstate and Geico. While auto repair insurance for older cars may be cheaper than an extended warranty, the coverage isn’t always as expansive.
Extended Warranty Over 100,000 Miles: Conclusion
Our review team has found that CARCHEX, Endurance and CarShield are all good places to find an extended warranty for cars over 100K miles. In order to make a decision between these companies, we recommend that you get several free quotes and sample contracts to compare costs and coverage plans. Anything from your vehicle to your city can impact the cost of an extended car warranty. The only way to find the best-priced option for you is to compare plans for yourself.
Car Warranty After 100,000 Miles: FAQ
The length of the warranty varies by manufacturer, but many offer bumper-to-bumper warranties for three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Powertrain warranties may last for up to 60 months or 60,000 miles.
How long are extended warranties for cars?
Manufacturer extended car warranties extend the true factory warranty. For example, an automaker may offer protection that extends coverage from 3 years/36,000 miles to 5 years/60,000 miles.
What does a 100k miles warranty cover?
Can you get a warranty on a car with over 100K miles?
Yes, our research team found that CARCHEX, Endurance and CarShield all offer warranty plans for cars over 100,000 miles. Keep in mind that the older cars may not qualify for more comprehensive coverage plans.
What happens when a car reaches maximum mileage?
Most vehicles are considered to be in the high-mileage range at around 100,000 miles. That said, many modern cars lest well past the 100,000-mile mark.
What is a lot of miles on a car?
Most vehicles are considered to be in the high-mileage range at around 100,000 miles. That said, many modern cars lest well past the 100,000-mile mark.
What is Protect My Car’s customer service number?
Protect My Car customers can reach service representatives either online or by calling (888)-964-6754.
What is CarShield’s mileage limit?
Cars under 300,000 miles are eligible for CarShield’s vehicle protection plans. Compared to other top providers, the only third-party warranty company that offers longer protection is CARCHEX.
How long do vehicle service contracts last?
Vehicle service contracts, which function like and are often called extended warranties, extend the 3-year/36k mile warranty to well beyond 6-8 years and 100k miles, addressing the fact that vehicles have more potential for repairs as they age.
Does CarShield have a mileage limit?
CarShield offers vehicle service contracts for cars up to 300,000 miles. You’re able to customize the kind of coverage specific to your car’s needs, but keep in mind that you may have larger monthly payments for coverage on older cars with higher mileage.
The Detroit Bureau collects data from every major car warranty provider to formulate rankings of the best warranty companies. Our in-depth rating system takes into account coverage, pricing, transparency, customer satisfaction and ratings from industry experts. Each provider is given a weighted score in five categories, as well as an overall score out of 10.0.
We recommend auto warranty companies based on these rankings, but we also encourage you to perform your own research and compare quotes to find the best coverage.