Mechanical Protection Plan (MPP) warranty coverage is sold through dealerships in 10 states. While not available for purchase everywhere, MPP warranty coverage is accepted at repair facilities across the U.S.
So, should you get an MPP warranty? This review will help you decide if an MPP vehicle protection plan is right for you by reviewing the company’s customer service reputation, price information and contract details.
Our review team has taken a close look at some of the best extended car warranty companies. See how MPP compares to the competition in terms of cost and reliability. You can start getting personalized quotes for your vehicle by clicking above.
Is an MPP Warranty Worth It?
MPP has been in business since 1979 and serves over 1.5 million customers. MPP warranty plans can be purchased in 10 states: Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico and Texas. All extended service contracts are backed by Old United Casualty Company, an AM Best A-rated company.
We like the provider’s customizable plans, established reputation and transparency. However, its state eligibility is limited compared to other extended car warranty companies.
|Overall Star Rating||7.0 out of 10.0|
|Reputation||7.0 out of 10.0|
|Coverage||8.0 out of 10.0|
|Customer Experience||7.0 out 0f 10.0|
Is it worth it? An MPP warranty may be a good option for drivers in eligible states.
MPP Warranty Coverage
Four MPP warranty plans are available for vehicles as old as 8 years and with as many as 90,000 miles. MPP also sells contracts for new vehicles, which is the cheapest way to add protection. If coverage overlaps with your manufacturer’s warranty, this is taken into consideration when the price is determined.
The chart below outlines the covered components for each MPP warranty plan.
|Covered Component Seals and Gaskets||✓||✓|
|Computer Systems and GPS||✓|
Drivers can also purchase the following packages for additional coverage:
- MPP Care Coverage: Pays for regular factory recommended chassis lubrication, engine oil changes, filter changes and tire rotations
- MPP Elite Coverage: Provides coverage for the battery, brake pads, fuses, lightbulbs, engine belts and hoses, headlamps, wiper blades and tire alignments
- MPP Care Elite Coverage: Combines the MPP Care Coverage and MPP Elite Coverage plans
- MPP Luxury Plus: Includes everything in the MPP Care Elite Coverage package, as well as paintless dent repair, tire and wheel road hazard protection, wheel alignments, a complimentary Road America Motor Club membership and vehicle rental expenses
All MPP warranty plans include the following additional benefits at no extra charge:
- Emergency roadside assistance allowance: Up to $100 per occurrence for towing, battery service, flat tire assistance, fluid delivery and lockout assistance
- Rental car reimbursement: Reimbursement for rental car expenses up to $35 a day for as long as five days, or 10 days if there is a delay because of dealer’s failure to deliver a replacement part
Additional MPP Offerings
In addition to vehicle service contracts, MPP also sells:
- Guaranteed asset protection (GAP) coverage
- Heavy-duty commercial vehicle coverage
- Recreational vehicle (RV) and motorhome coverage
- Lease wear coverage
Cost of an MPP Warranty
MPP warranties are sold exclusively through dealerships, so we couldn’t reach out directly for sample quotes. However, we were able to find reports of what others have paid by looking through customer reviews. One driver bought a 6-year/100,000-mile new vehicle Platinum warranty for $1,500.
This is a fair price, but keep in mind that this is one customer report. Your own MPP warranty costs may vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Vehicle make and model
- Vehicle year and mileage
- Contract coverage level
- Contract term length
How to Get a Quote and File a Clai
The best way to find out what an MPP warranty would cost for your vehicle is to ask a participating dealership for a quote.
If you’re an MPP warranty holder and you experience a mechanical problem, call the toll-free claims number listed on your contract. An MPP claims representative will help facilitate towing to your selling dealership or the nearest authorized repair shop. When your vehicle arrives at the facility, the claims representative will determine covered repairs and authorize your claim.
All repairs must be authorized before work begins. Once a claim is approved and all fixes are made, MPP will pay the repair facility directly, minus your deductible. The MPP Platinum plan has a disappearing deductible, which means that if you have your vehicle serviced at the selling dealership, you do not need to pay anything out of pocket for your repairs.
MPP Refunds and Coverage Transfers
All MPP warranty contracts are fully transferable. They can also be canceled for a full refund within 30 days. After 30 days, customers can still cancel at any time and receive a prorated refund minus a $50 service fee if no claims have been filed.
MPP Warranty Reviews
MPP holds an accredited A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The company has received under 50 complaints in the last three years, which is low for an extended warranty company.
Customers who did complain were upset with claims denials and MPP warranty coverage limitations. Some customers stated that their contracts had reimbursement limits that were too low to cover needed repairs. Multiple reviewers were angry about long customer service wait times. However, other customers on the BBB website reported a fast and easy claims process.
MPP’s BBB profile is neither a red flag nor a glowing endorsement. One thing to keep in mind is that most people do not bother to write a BBB review unless they have a complaint, so it is not unusual for complaints to outnumber praise, even for the best companies. Looking at the complaints that are posted, there are no glaring issues that suggest MPP is a dishonest dealer.
Our Verdict on MPP: 7.0 / 10.0
MPP warranty contracts offer unique add-on benefits that many customers may find worthwhile, like the MPP Care and MPP Elite coverage packages. While MPP has some negative customer reviews, it also has received positive feedback from other drivers. An MPP warranty may be a good option if it is available in your state.
Our Picks for Best Extended Car Warranties
If your dealer does not offer an MPP warranty or if you are interested in alternatives, consider contracts from two of our top recommended providers: Endurance and CARCHEX.
Endurance: Best Provider
Endurance offers some of the most comprehensive contracts in the industry. In addition to broad coverage, Endurance has outstanding customer benefits, including:
- Rental car reimbursement: Provides reimbursement of $30 per day up to $150 total for alternative transportation while your vehicle is being repaired
- Trip interruption allowance: Provides reimbursement for meals and lodging at $150 a day for up to $450 per occurrence if your car breaks down over 100 miles from home
- 24/7 roadside assistance: Includes towing, battery services, mechanical first aid, tire services and fuel deliveries
- One-year Endurance Elite Benefits: Provides customers with identity theft services, key fob and tire replacements, total loss protection and a collision discount.
For more information about Endurance, read our complete Endurance warranty review. To see how much an Endurance contract would cost for your vehicle, get a free quote below.
CARCHEX: Best for High-Mileage Cars
CARCHEX coverage is available for new and used vehicles. CARCHEX offers low-priced contracts and comprehensive plans for high-mileage vehicles with coverage extending as high as 10 years or 250,000 miles. The company has a strong reputation, and CARCHEX customer reviews praise the easy and reliable claims process.
CARCHEX customer benefits include:
- 24/7 roadside assistance: Includes emergency tire service, lockout service, battery service, fuel delivery and winching
- Towing: Reimburses up to $75 per occurrence
- Rental car reimbursement: Reimburses up to $40 per day for a maximum of $160 per occurrence
- Trip interruption services: Reimburses up to $50 per day for meals and lodging if your vehicle breaks down over 100 miles away from home
Learn more about this provider in our in-depth CARCHEX review, and get a personalized quote by clicking below.
The Detroit Bureau collects data from every major car warranty provider to formulate rankings of the best warranty companies. Our in-depth rating system takes into account coverage, pricing, transparency, customer satisfaction and ratings from industry experts. Each provider is given a weighted score in five categories, as well as an overall score out of 10.0.
We recommend auto warranty companies based on these rankings, but we also encourage you to perform your own research and compare quotes to find the best coverage.