AmeriFreight has become a popular name in auto transport since it provides car shipping services through a network of roughly 10,000 vetted vehicle carriers. In this review, we’ll take a look at AmeriFreight reviews, prices, discounts, shipping methods and more to give you a clear understanding of what the company offers.
When it comes to car transport, you have numerous options that include brokers, carriers and marketplaces. We’ve reviewed the best car shipping companies to make it easier for you to compare services and find the best deal available.
AmeriFreight Pros and Cons
Numerous discounts available
Optional gap protection
Ships to all 50 states
No international shipping
No GPS tracking
Price can go up after the initial quote
AmeriFreight: Best for Discounts
|Overall Rating||9.0 / 10.0|
Headquarters: Peachtree City, Georgia
Service Area: United States, including Alaska and Hawaii
An auto transport broker with over 17 years in the shipping industry, AmeriFreight connects customers with its network of auto carriers to provide shipping services to all 50 states. AmeriFreight only uses licensed carriers and screens them to make sure they have the proper insurance credentials in case an accident occurs during the transport process.
AmeriFreight reviews are strong across consumer websites, including the Better Business Bureau (BBB) site, where the company holds accreditation and an A+ rating from the BBB and has 4.9 out of 5.0 stars based on more than 1,150 customer reviews.
What We Like About AmeriFreight
Unlike some shipping companies, AmeriFreight also offers gap protection in addition to the carrier’s insurance. The company is probably best known for its discounts that are available to active-duty military members, first responders, senior citizens, students, return customers and others.
Is AmeriFreight Worth It?
Yes. AmeriFreight offers a wide variety of car shipping services to customers and provides discounts to help drive costs down. We always recommend getting quotes from multiple auto shipping companies and comparing them to find the best price for you, but AmeriFreight is certainly worth considering.
How Much Does AmeriFreight Car Shipping Cost?
Based on our research, the average price of shipping with AmeriFreight is $975. The auto transporter typically charges between $560 and $1,300 to ship a sedan via open transport. With enclosed transport options incurring an upcharge of 80% or more, AmeriFreights rates are competitive with other leading providers in the vehicle shipping industry.
AmeriFreight Transport Tiers
AmeriFreight car shipping costs will vary depending on which of the following transport types you choose:
- Economy transport: This option comes with a five- to seven-day pickup window to ship your vehicle. Your car is placed on a job board at the lowest starting bid in hopes of finding a carrier who has a last-minute availability.
- Priority transport: Your vehicle is charged the market rate at the time of transportation. You give the company three to four days to find a shipper after the availability date.
- First-class transport: This is the most aggressively priced shipping option and includes all carrier rates, fees and basic gap coverage. A carrier has a window of one to two days to pick up your vehicle.
AmeriFreight Car Shipping Quotes
When we reached out to AmeriFreight for car shipping quotes, the auto transport broker gave us the following economy transport estimates for a 2018 Honda Civic:
|Open||New York, NY to Washington, D.C.||227 Miles||$561|
|Enclosed||New York, NY to Washington, D.C.||227 miles||$1,009|
|Open||Atlanta, GA to Richmond, VA||530 miles||$778|
|Enclosed||Atlanta, GA to Richmond, VA||530 miles||$1,401|
|Open||San Diego, CA to Portland, OR||1,082 miles||$778|
|Enclosed||San Diego, CA to Portland, OR||1,082 miles||$1,401|
|Open||Austin, TX to San Francisco, CA||1,500 miles||$899|
|Enclosed||Austin, TX to San Francisco, CA||1,500 miles||$1,600|
Factors that Affect Car Shipping Costs
Many factors affect car shipping costs, including:
- Distance: Cross-country car shipping, such as a transport from New York to California, will cost more overall but have lower rates per mile than a much shorter trip.
- Transport type: Open transport provides cheap car shipping compared to enclosed transport, but your vehicle is exposed to the elements. Enclosed transport may be worth the additional cost for luxury and classic cars, especially. Terminal-to-terminal shipping costs less than door-to-door pickup and delivery.
- Time of year: For the best price, avoid shipping in the summer or in January.
- Fuel price: Auto transporters may charge more to compensate for carriers’ fuel costs if gas prices are high.
- Vehicle size: You will pay more for shipping if you’re moving larger vehicles such as SUVs and trucks.
Unlike many car transport companies, AmeriFreight offers discounts to help reduce car shipping rates. Here are the discounts the auto transporter provides:
- Military: $35 off
- First responder: $35 off
- Medical personnel: $35 off
- Student: $25 off
- Senior citizen: $25 off
- Early bird: $25 off
- Returning customer: $50 off
- Multiple vehicles: $50 off
You can generally only apply one discount per order, with only two exceptions. One is the multi-vehicle discount, which applies when you add a second car to your vehicle transport. The other is the company’s early bird discount, which is available if you book within 48 hours of receiving a quote.
AmeriFreight Auto Shipping Services
AmeriFreight provides shipping services for cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles, ATVs and RVs. The auto broker offers open and enclosed shipping options, door-to-door and terminal-to-terminal delivery and expedited shipping.
Here’s a closer look at AmeriFreight’s auto transport services:
- Nationwide transport: AmeriFreight provides car transport services nationwide, including to Alaska and Hawaii. The broker does not ship internationally.
- Open carrier transport: This is the most common transport service among budget-conscious car owners. Your vehicle will be exposed to the elements and road debris during transport.
- Enclosed carrier transport: This transport method costs more than open carrier shipping but is a particularly good option for luxury and classic car owners who are looking for peace of mind. Your vehicle is shipped in an enclosed trailer or shipping container to prevent damage.
- Door-to-door delivery: Your vehicle will be picked up and delivered to your home or as close to it as possible.
- Terminal-to-terminal delivery: Your car will be transported from one centralized location to another. Terminal pickup and delivery locations are like storage facilities for cars.
- Expedited shipping: If you’re on a tight schedule, this might be the best option. Carriers can typically pick up your car within a few business days.
How to Ship a Car with AmeriFreight
Booking a shipment with AmerifFreight is a fairly straightforward process. For the first step, you’ll need to provide AmeriFreight with some information to receive an initial quote. This info will include:
- Your phone number, email address and other contact information
- Your pickup and drop-off destinations
- Your vehicle’s make, model, year and type
- Your car’s operability
- Your preference on open vs. enclosed transport
- The date your vehicle is first available for pickup
Once you submit your information online, you will receive an instant quote through the company’s online rate calculator at AmeriFreight.net. You will then be contacted by an AmeriFreight representative who will call to assist you with any other information you may need to transport your vehicle. You will only have to pay once you accept an offer.
Before transport, you should empty your vehicle of all personal belongings and take photographs of your car’s condition. Once it arrives at its destination, make sure you receive a copy of the bill of lading from the car shipper to dispute any damage that may have resulted from transport.
Does AmeriFreight Provide Shipping Insurance?
If shipped through AmeriFreight, your vehicle has basic cargo insurance coverage through the car carrier. This shipping insurance covers your vehicle while it’s being transported but doesn’t cover any damage incurred during parking and storage.
AmeriFreight AFta Gap Coverage
AmeriFreight offers additional gap coverage, known as AF Total Assurance (AFta), to protect your vehicle when the carrier’s insurance doesn’t. Here are the three levels of coverage:
- Comprehensive: This insurance costs $98 per shipment and covers up to $2,000 of your personal vehicle insurance deductible for significant damages, $800 for minor damages and $300 toward lost, stolen or damaged keys. This plan also comes with cancellation protection if there is a major life event after you’ve been matched up with a carrier and completed payment.
- Standard: This plan mirrors the Comprehensive plan except it costs only $78 and doesn’t include the cancellation protection.
- Basic: This insurance plan costs $48 and covers $600 in minor damages.
You should always check your carrier’s insurance policy before purchasing extra coverage. If you already have comprehensive insurance, you may not need to buy gap coverage.
AmeriFreight Reviews from Customers
AmeriFreight reviews are mostly positive. Along with its high marks from customers on the BBB website, the auto shipping broker has a 4.7-star rating out of 5.0 on Google, supported by more than 3,000 AmeriFreight reviews. Overall, 18% of reviewers mentioned an “easy process”.
We’ve highlighted both positive and negative AmeriFreight reviews below to provide a balanced picture of the customer experience.
Positive AmeriFreight Reviews
Upbeat AmeriFreight reviews praise the company for affordable pricing, an easy shipping process and excellent customer service. In fact, 12% of reviews explicitly mentioned recommending the company to others.
“This is my second time using AmeriFreight, and they are a great company. If I ever need a vehicle shipped again, I would definitely use them.”– Ryan B. via BBB
“Incredible experience dealing with Sydni and AmeriFreight. Highly recommend it, as they put the customer first but also know the ins and outs of the industry. Very knowledgeable, personable and professional. They definitely deserve all the praise they get.”– C D via Google
Negative AmeriFreight Reviews
Less-than-stellar AmeriFreight reviews mention carrier pricing sometimes being higher than the initial quoted price. It should be noted that overall, only 6% of reviewers rated the company 1 out 5-stars.
“I’m pretty sure some of the reviews are fake, or I just got a raw deal. They originally quoted me $879. Then three days after my ship-out date, they tried to up the price to a total of $2,154. Either they are incompetent at doing business, or they are trying to hustle you.”– David R. via BBB
“Expect [bait] and switch! Lowball until it’s time for pickup, then the price goes way up. Customer service! Good luck getting through once the contract is signed. Stay away from these scammers!”– Steve U. via Google
Our Customer Experience Survey
In 2021, our research team polled 1,000 consumers that had previously used an auto transport company. We asked them what they paid, issues they experienced and about their overall satisfaction with the provider.
Here are some key takeaways from customers that responded to the study:
- Approximately 41% of respondents paid between $1,000 and $2,000 for auto shipping services. 22% paid between $1,500 and $2,000, while another 19% of respondents paid between $1,000 and $1,500 for auto shipping.
- Overall customer satisfaction for the industry is around 69%. AmeriFreight placed second overall in customer satisfaction at 67%, trailing behind Montway Auto Transport which had 84% customer satisfaction.
- The top issues reported by customers included damage to their vehicles, companies insurance policies not covering claims and price increases after booking auto transport.
Our Verdict on AmeriFreight: 9.0 / 10.0
We rate AmeriFreight at 9.0 out of 10.0. The auto broker – which we named Best for Discounts in our review of the top auto shippers – provides most customers with a positive experience and offers relatively affordable pricing. AmeriFreight provides a wide range of services, including open and enclosed transport, door-to-door and terminal-to-terminal delivery and expedited shipping nationwide.
We also like the additional option of adding gap protection to cover your vehicle when the cargo insurance doesn’t. AmeriFreight falls short by not offering international shipping. If that’s a requirement for you, read about the providers we profile below.
Top Recommendations for Car Shipping
If you’re searching for a car shipping company, we recommend reaching out to providers for free quotes to find the shipper best-suited for your budget and needs. Montway Auto Transport and uShip are both leading providers featured in our review of the top car shipping companies.
Montway Auto Transport: Best Provider
Montway Auto Transport is a shipping broker with more than 15 years of experience. The company says it has delivered more than 747,000 vehicles nationwide. Montway ships cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles, ATVs and inoperable vehicles. Montway Auto Transport’s shipping services include open and enclosed shipping, door-to-door delivery and expedited transport.
The vehicle shipping company holds an A+ rating from the BBB to go along with a 4.5-star customer rating out of 5.0, backed by over 1,900 reviews on the BBB website. Montway also has a 4.6-star rating out of 5.0 on Trustpilot, which suggests a positive experience for most customers. We gave Montway 9.0 out of 10.0 stars overall – the same score we assigned to AmeriFreight.
Read more about Montway in our Montway Auto Transport review.
uShip: Best Shipping Marketplace
Unlike most car shipping companies, uShip is neither an auto transport broker nor a carrier. Instead, the company operates as an online marketplace connecting customers with over 41,000 carriers nationwide. Through uShip’s marketplace, carriers offer open and enclosed transport options for cars, motorcycles, RVs, household items and farm equipment.
Reviews for uShip are positive overall. The auto marketplace holds an A+ rating and accreditation from the BBB as well as 4.6 out of 5.0 stars based on BBB customer reviews. The company also has a 4.1-star rating out of 5.0 on Trustpilot, based on nearly 11,000 reviews. While customer reviews are generally positive, you should still research each carrier before signing a contract. This is because uShip does not vet carriers on its marketplace. For this reason, we rated uShip at 8.4 out of 10.0 stars – a bit lower than our rating for AmeriFreight and Montway.
Learn more about the company in our uShip review.
FAQ: AmeriFreight Reviews
Is AmeriFreight legitimate?
Yes, AmeriFreight is a legitimate auto broker based in Peachtree City, Georgia. The auto shipping company works with its network of carriers to provide transport services nationwide, including to Hawaii and Alaska.
Does AmeriFreight offer door-to-door shipping?
Yes, AmeriFreight only offers door-to-door delivery services. This means the carrier will deliver your vehicle as close to your home as possible.
How much does it cost to ship a car across the country?
On average, it costs between $1,000 and $1,500 to ship a car across the country. Factors that affect the price include whether you choose open auto transport or enclosed auto transport, time of year, and the size of your vehicle.
Is AmeriFreight a broker?
Yes, AmeriFreight is a shipping broker, meaning it will connect you with a shipping carrier who will physically haul your car from point to point. For instance, if you ask AmeriFreight for a quote on a shipment from Los Angeles to Chicago, AmeriFreight will search through its network of vetted carriers to find the one with the lowest rate.
How long has AmeriFreight been in business?
AmeriFreight has been transporting cars short and long distances since 2004.
The Detroit Bureau collects data from every major car shipping provider to formulate rankings of the best auto transport companies. Our in-depth rating system takes into account pricing, services, customer satisfaction and ratings from industry experts. Each provider is given a weighted score in four categories, as well as an overall score out of 10.0.
We recommend car shipping companies based on these rankings, but we also encourage you to perform your own research and compare quotes to find the best service.