Please note that The Detroit Bureau and its partners may be compensated if you purchase the recommended services.
Safe-Guard Auto is an extended warranty provider that works through participating dealerships nationwide. However, it can be difficult to confidently purchase an extended warranty without some background on the provider and its protection plan.
In this article, we discuss the ins and outs of Safe-Guard Auto and its extended warranty options. We also look into its additional protection plans, like guaranteed asset protection (GAP) coverage and certified pre-owned (CPO) warranties, as well as what a warranty might cost with this provider.
Regardless of what extended warranty provider you choose, make sure to get multiple quotes before signing on the dotted line. We recommend comparing Safe-Guard Auto to reputable extended car warranty companies. That way, you can shop around for the best extended car warranty price and coverage.
Use the tool below to receive free, personalized quotes from some of our top recommended providers to continue your research process.
|Best Provider||Best for High-Mileage Cars||Most Affordable|
|Editor’s Rating:||Editor’s Rating:||Editor’s Rating:|
|Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote|
|(877) 374-1840||(866) 254-0205||(800) 563-2761|
Table of Contents:
- Safe-Guard Auto Overview
- Safe-Guard Auto Coverage Options
- Cost of a Safe-Guard Auto Extended Warranty
- How to Get a Quote and File a Claim
- Safe-Guard Auto Extended Warranty Reviews
- Conclusion: Is Safe-Guard Auto Worth It?
- Our Picks for Best Extended Car Warranties
Safe-Guard Auto Overview
Here’s an overview of how our review team rates Safe-Gaurd Auto and its extended warranties:
Established 27 years ago, Safe-Guard Products International offers auto protection plans meant to complement your factory warranty. These protections range from extended car warranties to CPO warranties to GAP products. Its vehicle protection plans are available through participating U.S. dealerships.
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) awarded Safe-Guard Auto with an A+ rating and also accredited the provider. This rating indicates the company’s ability to effectively communicate with customers based on their needs and complaints, but its customer service reviews are less than complimentary.
Safe-Guard Auto Coverage Options
Safe-Guard Auto offers auto warranty plans for cars up to 12 years old as well as these additional protection plans:
- Precision Care: Covers over 1,500 components as well as some wear-and-tear items like brake pads and rotors
- CPO: Provides warranty coverage for your CPO vehicle as well as roadside assistance, towing, rental car services and travel interruption reimbursement
- CPO Wrap: Wraps around your CPO warranty and protects against mechanical breakdowns and their subsequent repair costs
- Prepaid Maintenance: Covers the cost for your scheduled maintenance using this plan
- Tire & Wheel Protection: Covers damages to your tires or wheels with cosmetic coverage as an add-on
- Dent Protection: Covers minor dings and dents on your car’s body panels
- Windshield Protection: Protects your front windshield against minor damage
- Appearance Protection: An aesthetic protection service that protects the interior and exterior of your car
- Tire Protection: Protects your tires against unforeseen road hazards
- Key Protection: Replaces lost or damaged keys
- Guaranteed Asset Protection: Helps reimburse you for the “gap” created in a total loss event between your insurance payment and your car’s financial agreement
Safe-Guard Auto offers several extended warranty coverage tiers to choose from. However, the provider doesn’t disclose what these coverages are publicly. Safe-Guard Auto also notes that its provisions vary based on state and province.
Most manufacturers already offer CPO warranties with purchase, so we’re a little skeptical of the provider’s CPO plans.
When you purchase Safe-Guard Auto’s vehicle service protection plans, Precision Care, CPO warranties or CPO Wrap coverage, you receive a few bonus perks, including:
- Emergency roadside assistance
- Towing services
- Rental car reimbursement
- Travel interruption reimbursement
Check with your participating dealership for what limitations apply to these additional services.
Cost of a Safe-Guard Auto Extended Warranty
A Safe-Guard Auto extended warranty cost varies based on the vehicle, deductible, coverage level and contract length. Let’s break down why.
- Vehicle make, model and age: Older, high-mileage, luxury and less reliable cars are often more expensive to cover.
- Deductible: Typically, lower deductibles result in higher monthly premiums.
- Coverage level: A more inclusive plan often costs more.
- Contract length: A longer contract is usually more expensive.
Take these factors into account when considering a Safe-Guard Auto contract.
How to Get a Quote and File a Claim
Here’s how to get a quote and file a claim with Safe-Guard Auto:
Get a Quote
Safe-Guard Auto doesn’t deal with customers directly, only participating dealerships. If you’re interested in a quote from this provider, you’ll need to contact your local dealership that offers Safe-Guard Auto vehicle service protection plans. Unfortunately, Safe-Guard Auto does not provide a list of which dealerships it works with.
File a Claim
To file a claim with Safe-Guard Auto, you have three options, including:
- Call Safe-Guard Auto
- Use the provider’s online form
- Submit a written request
If you have a mechanical breakdown, you’ll need to secure authorization from Safe-Guard Auto during the claims process before any repair work happens.
Safe-Guard Auto Extended Warranty Reviews
Customer reviews about Safe-Guard Auto lean more on the negative side. Customers frequently mentioned difficult cancellation processes, unhelpful service representatives and unforeseen repair costs despite full coverage contracts.
Here’s an overview of what past customers said about Safe-Guard Auto and its extended warranties:
Positive Customer Experiences
“I’ve not nothing but great things to say about this protection plan. I’ve used it at least 7 times in the 2.5 years I’ve had it.”
– Timothy F. via Yelp
“[Safe-Guard Auto] had it done quickly, and everyone was very pleasant when I called every day to ask questions. They were very helpful. If you just put in a little work it was actually very timely.”
– Erica M. via Yelp
Negative Customer Experiences
“[Its] customer service is terrible. Denied [the] claim and gave me a different reason each time I called, and I was told to just cancel it because they were not going to pay.”
– DD M. via BBB
“The absolute worst customer service I have ever had. They would leave me on hold until I hung up. They find whatever excuse not to process the claim.”
– Justin M. via BBB
Conclusion: Is Safe-Guard Auto Worth It?
We rate Safe-Guard Auto a 3.0 out of 5.0 stars. The extended warranty provider’s variety of plan options are a positive for drivers, but Safe-Guard Auto’s lack of transparency online and CPO warranty plans are a little concerning.
If you’re offered a Safe-Guard Auto contract at your local dealership, ask for a quote but don’t shy away from alternative options.
Our Picks for Best Extended Car Warranties
Like we mentioned before, you should always compare extended warranty providers. A plan of action we encourage is to compare Safe-Guard Auto against our top recommended providers. In our opinion, Endurance and CARCHEX are some of the best in the industry, so using their vehicle service plans as a baseline gives you a better understanding of Safe-Guard Auto’s strengths and weaknesses.
Endurance: Best Provider
Endurance is our tried-and-true extended warranty recommendation. We like how transparent the company is, as it provides sample contracts online. We also like that it offers five coverage plans for additional vehicle protection, which can extend up to 15 years or 200,000 miles.
Use the tool below to receive a free quote from the provider, and for more information, read our in-depth Endurance warranty review.
Industry leader that offers no-interest payments of 12-24 mo.
CARCHEX: Best for High-Mileage Cars
Older, high-mileage cars can be difficult to protect. However, CARCHEX provides excellent vehicle protection plans for these vehicles. Similar to Endurance, we like this provider’s transparency and five different coverage tiers. CARCHEX is especially advantageous because its plans can extend up to 10 years or 250,000 miles.
We recommend reaching out for a quote as well as reading our full CARCHEX review.
Best for High-Mileage Cars
Offers comprehensive service and covers vehicles with over 100,000 miles