An extended warranty for cars over 100K miles is not offered by any manufacturer, but a number of third-party warranty companies offer such a contract. And these plans are becoming more commonplace as vehicles manufactured in the past decade last much longer than those manufactured 20 or 30 years ago. Many models can run for at least 200,000 miles, and some vehicles even last for 350,000 miles.
While cars today have greater longevity, they still experience costly repairs as mileage and age increase. If you cannot afford such repairs, purchasing an extended warranty might be a smart decision. An extended warranty for a car with over 100K miles can help you keep your vehicle instead of having to buy a new one prematurely.
In this article, we discuss common problems with high-mileage cars and help you decide whether an extended warranty for your vehicle with over 100K miles is worth it. We also offer our recommendations for the best extended car warranty to help drivers interested in purchasing an extended warranty. To go ahead and get free quotes from some of the industry’s highest-rated companies, click below.
|Best Provider||Best for High-Mileage Cars||Most Affordable|
|Editor’s Rating:||Editor’s Rating:||Editor’s Rating:|
|9.6 / 10.0||9.4 / 10.0||9.0 / 10.0|
|Get Quote||Get Quote||Get Quote|
|(877) 374-1840||(866) 254-0205||(800) 563-2761|
Table of Contents:
- Best Extended Warranty for Cars With Over 100K Miles
- Is an Extended Warranty for a Car Over 100K Miles Worth It?
- Common Problems for High-Mileage Vehicles
- Which Extended Warranty Providers Will Cover Cars Over 100K Miles?
- Conclusion: Top Extended Warranty for Cars Over 100K Miles
Best Extended Warranty for Cars With Over 100K Miles
The best extended warranty for a car with over 100K miles may not be the same for every driver. Every provider offers different lengths and levels of coverage for high-mileage vehicles. We took a close look at some of our top-rated providers to decide which offer the best coverage options for older cars. Among our top-rated providers, we found several companies that covered vehicles well beyond 100K miles.
|Extended Warranties for Cars Over 100k Miles||Our Review Score||Number of Coverage Levels||Highest Coverage Limit|
|1. CARCHEX||9.4 / 10.0||5||250,000 miles|
|2. Endurance||9.6 / 10.0||5||200,000 miles|
|3. CarShield||9.0 / 10.0||6||200,000 miles|
CARCHEX: Best for High-Mileage Cars
Based in Baltimore, Maryland, CARCHEX has been in business since 2004 and offers five different levels of warranty coverage: Titanium, Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze. Our review team rated CARCHEX the best choice for older vehicles due to the following:
- Notable industry partnerships: CARCHEX partners with many major players in the industry, including Edmunds.com, Kelley Blue Book, and CARFAX.
- A+ rating and accreditation from the Better Business Bureau (BBB): CARCHEX’s strong BBB rating and accreditation demonstrates leadership in the extended warranty industry.
- National media recognition: CARCHEX has been featured by national media outlets such as PBS, Fox News, CBS, and NBC as an expert in consumer automotive protection.
- Long contract terms: At 250,000 miles, CARCHEX offers the longest coverage terms among any top provider we have reviewed.
Read our complete CARCHEX review to learn more about why we chose the provider as the best extended warranty for cars over 100K miles.
Endurance: Best Provider
Based in Northbrook, Illinois, Endurance has been in business since 2006 and offers five different coverage plans: Select Premier, Secure, Secure Plus, Superior and Supreme. Endurance was named No. 1 in the market by our review team and carries these notable accolades:
- 2019 Stevie Award – Great Employer: Endurance was recognized as a Great Employer at the 2019 Stevie Awards for its “impressive set of employee benefits and activities.”
- 2019 Inc. 5000 Company: Inc. magazine listed Endurance in its 2019 annual Inc. 5000, a ranking of the United States’ 5000 fastest-growing private companies.
- Partnership with Andretti MotorSports: Endurance was announced as the primary sponsor of Jarett Andretti’s McLaren in the Pirelli GT4 Americas Sprint Class for the 2020 season. Andretti MotorSports is one of the most successful auto racing companies in the world, so this partnership is impressive.
Beyond its reputation, Endurance offers comprehensive coverage and benefits, as well as competitive pricing. The Endurance Elite Membership is included free for the first year and includes perks like tire repairs and replacements, key fob replacements, and identity theft protection. Those can be valuable for cars over 100K miles.
If you want to learn more about this provider, read our in-depth Endurance warranty review.
CarShield: Most Affordable
Based in St. Peters, Missouri, CarShield offers four plan options: Diamond, Platinum, Gold and Silver. The company has coverage packages specifically for high-tech components, such as your car’s starter and navigation. CarShield is one of our only top-rated providers to offer coverage for motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles. It stands out as a good choice for an extended warranty for cars over 100K miles for the following reasons:
- Customizable pricing: Plans with low deductibles or no deductible are available.
- Broad repair network: Customers can use any ASE-certified mechanic to get repairs.
- History in the industry: Unlike some competitors, CarShield has been in business for almost two decades. This shows our researchers that it’s a well-run warranty company that will be there when you need it.
Our CarShield review offers a more detailed description of coverage.
Is an Extended Warranty for a Car With Over 100K Miles Worth It?
Whether or not an extended warranty is worth it for you and your vehicle depends on your individual situation and your personal goals. If you cannot afford costly repairs and you would like to keep your vehicle for at least a couple more years, then an extended warranty might be worth the cost. On the other hand, if you can afford expensive repairs out of pocket and plan to purchase a different vehicle in the near future, an extended warranty is probably not worth the cost.
For owners that would like to keep their vehicle, another consideration is whether you own a vehicle that is very likely to run for more than 100,000 miles. If you have one of the vehicles that Forbes named as most likely to go at least 200,000 miles, you may consider looking to an extended car warranty for cars over 100K miles.
- #1 Toyota Land Cruiser
- #2 Toyota Sequoia
- #3 Ford Expedition
- #4 Chevrolet Suburban
- #5 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
- #6 Chevrolet Tahoe
- #7 GMC Yukon XL
- #8 Toyota 4Runner
- #9 GMC Yukon
- #10 Honda Ridgeline
- #11 Toyota Tundra
- #12 Honda Odyssey
- #13 Toyota Avalon
- #14 Lincoln Navigator
- #15 Toyota Tacoma
Common Problems for High-Mileage Vehicles
Unfortunately, cars that have over 100,000 miles are vulnerable to a variety of costly issues. Here are three common issues car owners experience with high-mileage vehicles and their respective costs.
- Transmission failure: As a car’s transmission gets older, it is more likely to fail. When this happens, an expensive repair is needed. For example, the average cost of a transmission replacement can range anywhere from $1,800 to $3,400.
- Suspension failure: A suspension is what keeps your vehicle riding smoothly. A suspension is made up of several different parts, and if one of these parts fails, it can be very expensive to replace. A new suspension can cost between $1,000 and $5,000 or more, depending on the type of suspension system.
- Camshaft failure: A camshaft controls how an engine takes in air. Over time, a camshaft can break if it gets overly filled with dirt and debris. When this happens, the replacement cost can be between $1,500 and $3,000.
Which Extended Warranty Providers Will Cover Cars Over 100K Miles?
Extended car warranty providers typically have a mileage limit in which they will no longer cover your vehicle. The table below compares the mileage limit of several popular providers. Each of the companies covers a vehicle beyond 100,000 miles, but CARCHEX, Endurance and CarShield offer the highest mileage limits for an extended warranty for cars over 100K miles.
|Longest Extended Warranties for Cars Over 100K Miles||Coverage Limit|
|Infinite Auto Protection||140,000 miles|
|Liberty Bell Auto Protect||140,000 miles|
|Protect My Car||125,000 miles|
Conclusion: Top Extended Warranty for Cars Over 100K Miles
Our review team has found that CARCHEX, Endurance and CarShield are all good places to find an extended warranty for cars over 100K miles. In order to make a decision between these companies, we recommend that you get several free quotes and sample contracts to compare costs and coverage plans. Anything from vehicle to your city can impact the cost of an extended car warranty. The only way to find the best-priced option for you is to compare plans for yourself.