Please note that The Detroit Bureau and its partners may be compensated if you purchase the recommended services.
Vehicles manufactured in the past decade are capable of being driven for many more miles than vehicles manufactured 20 or 30 years ago. Many models run for at least 200,000 miles, and some vehicles can even last for 350,000 miles.
While vehicles today have more longevity to them, they still experience costly repairs as their mileage and age increases. If you cannot afford costly repairs, purchasing an extended warranty might be a smart decision because it can help you keep your vehicle instead of having to sell it prematurely.
In this article, we discuss common problems with high-mileage cars and whether or not an extended warranty for your vehicle with over 100k miles is worth it for you.
Then, we provide our recommendations for the best extended car warranty options to help drivers interested in purchasing an extended warranty.
Table of Contents:
- Common Problems For Cars Over 100K Miles
- Is An Extended Warranty For A Car With Over 100K Miles Worth It?
- Which Extended Warranty Providers Will Cover My Vehicle?
- Best High Mileage Extended Warranty Providers
- Which Provider Is Right For Me?
Common Problems For Cars With Over 100K Miles
Unfortunately, cars that have over 100,000 miles are vulnerable to a variety of costly issues. Here are three common issues car owners experience with high mileage vehicles and their respective costs.
- Transmission failure: As a car’s transmission gets older, it is more likely to fail. When this happens, an expensive repair is needed. For example, the average cost of a transmission replacement ranges from $1,800 to $3,400.
- Suspension failure: A suspension is what keeps your vehicle riding smooth instead of bumpy. A suspension is made up of several different parts, and if one of these parts fails, it can be very expensive to replace. A new suspension costs between $1,000 to $5,000 or more, depending on the type of suspension system.
- Camshaft failure: A camshaft controls how an engine takes in air. Over time, a camshaft can break if it gets overly filled with dirt and debris. When this happens, the replacement cost can be between $1,500 and $3,000.
Is An Extended Warranty For A Car With Over 100K Miles Worth It?
Whether or not an extended warranty is worth it for you and your vehicle depends on your individual situation and your personal goals.
If you cannot afford costly repairs and you would like to keep your vehicle for at least a couple more years, then an extended warranty might be worth the cost.
On the other hand, if you can afford $2,000 to $4,000 repairs and plan to purchase a different vehicle in the near future, an extended warranty is probably not worth the cost.
For owners that would like to keep their vehicle, another consideration is whether you own a vehicle that is very likely to run for at least 250,000 to 300,000 miles.
Forbes named these 15 vehicles as most likely to go at least 200,000 miles.
- #15: Toyota Tacoma
- #14: Lincoln Navigator
- #13: Toyota Avalon
- #12: Honda Odyssey
- #11: Toyota Tundra
- #10: Honda Ridgeline
- #9: GMC Yukon
- #8: Toyota 4Runner
- #7: GMC Yukon XL
- #6: Chevrolet Tahoe
- #5: Toyota Highlander Hybrid
- #4: Chevrolet Suburban
- #3: Ford Expedition
- #2: Toyota Sequoia
- #1: Toyota Land Cruiser
Which Extended Warranty Providers Will Cover My Vehicle?
Extended warranty providers typically have a mileage limit in which they will no longer cover your vehicle. The table below compares the mileage limit of several popular providers.
Each of the providers covers a vehicle beyond 100,000 miles, but CARCHEX and autopom! offer the highest mileage limits for coverage.
Top Extended Warranties For Cars Over 100k Miles
Protect My Car
Best High Mileage Extended Warranty Providers
Conveniently for high mileage car owners, the three providers offering the highest coverage limits also received excellent ratings from our review team.
Below, we discuss each provider in more depth.
A Baltimore, Maryland based provider, CARCHEX has been in business since 2004 and offers five different levels of warranty coverage: Titanium, Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze.
Our review team rated CARCHEX Best Provider for the following qualities and accomplishments:
- Notable industry partnerships: CARCHEX partners with many major players in the industry, including Edmunds.com, Kelley Blue Book, and CARFAX.
- A+ rating and accreditation from the Better Business Bureau (BBB): CARCHEX’s strong BBB rating and accreditation demonstrates leadership in the extended warranty industry.
- National media recognition: CARCHEX has been featured by national media outlets such as PBS, Fox News, CBS, and NBC as an industry expert in consumer automotive protection.
A Lake Forest, California based provider, autopom! offers four levels of warranty coverage: Exclusionary, High-Level, Mid-Level, and Powertrain Plus.
Autopom! was recognized by our review team as our Highest Customer Ratings provider, and it stands out among other providers for the following reasons:
- BBB accreditation and rating: autopom! holds accreditation and an A+ rating from the BBB.
- Customer service excellence: autopom! holds an “Excellent” rating on its Trustpilot profile and a 4.5 star customer review rating on its BBB page.
- Partnerships: According to its website, autopom! only works with administrators who are rated A+ by the BBB. This demonstrates a strong commitment to business integrity and excellence.
A Northbrook, Illinois based provider, Endurance has been in business since 2006 and offers five different coverage plans: Select Premier, Secure, Secure Plus, Superior, and Supreme.
Endurance was named Best Direct Service Provider by our review team for these qualities and accomplishments:
- 2019 Stevie Award – Great Employer: Endurance was recognized as a Great Employer at the 2019 Stevie Awards for its “impressive set of employee benefits and activities.”
- 2019 Inc. 5000 Company: Inc. magazine listed Endurance in its 2019 annual Inc. 5000, a ranking of the United States’ 5000 fastest-growing private companies.
- Partnership with Andretti AutoSport: Endurance was announced as the primary sponsor of Jarett Andretti’s McLaren in the Pirelli GT4 Americas Sprint Class for the 2020 season. Andretti MotorSports is one of the most successful auto racing companies in the world, so this partnership is impressive.
Which Provider Is Right For Me?
Our review team has found that CARCHEX, Endurance, and autopom! are all excellent extended warranty providers.
In order to make a decision between these companies, we recommend that you receive a quote and sample contract from each provider to compare their costs and coverage plans.
You can also read more about these companies in our review of the six best extended car warranty options.