Please note that The Detroit Bureau and its partners may be compensated if you purchase the recommended services.
CARCHEX is a leading provider of extended auto warranties, mobile vehicle inspections, auto insurance, and more. A Baltimore, Maryland based provider, CARCHEX has been offering extended auto warranties since 2004.
In this guide to CARCHEX, our review team examines the provider’s coverage, reputation, reviews, and cost. Then, we help you decide whether an extended warranty is worth it for your specific situation and whether CARCHEX is the best provider for you.
In This Article:
- What Does CARCHEX Cover?
- How Much Does A CARCHEX Warranty Cost?
- CARCHEX Reviews
- CARCHEX Reputation
- Is CARCHEX Worth It?
What Does CARCHEX Cover?
CARCHEX offers five different levels of warranty coverage: Titanium, Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze.
There are multiple “programs” within each level of coverage to choose from. CARCHEX administers its warranty coverage through third parties so the policies may differ slightly based on the provider.
For example, CARCHEX’s Bronze coverage offers a policy administered by American Auto Shield and one by Royal Administration Services.
Sample contracts are available online for all of their warranty plans, and they can help you decide which policy might be the best fit for your needs. Many providers do not offer their sample contracts online, so this is a great feature of CARCHEX as a provider.
Below is a high-level overview of CARCHEX’s five different coverage options.
- Titanium Coverage: Offers the highest level of coverage available. These programs are “bumper to bumper coverage” and are similar to your factory coverage in that there are very little exclusions.
- Platinum Coverage: Offers the highest level of stated-component coverage available. The sample contracts online detail the hundreds of specific components covered, including all major systems on the vehicle.
- Gold Coverage: Provides comprehensive coverage for all major systems on the vehicle. CARCHEX mentions that this coverage option is often a good fit for vehicles over 60,000 miles.
- Silver Coverage: Provides essential coverage to the major systems of your vehicle.
- Bronze Coverage: Provides some coverage to the major systems on your vehicle. This plan focuses on protecting you from the most common and expensive repairs to the engine and transmission.
How Much Does A CARCHEX Warranty Cost?
The cost of a CARCHEX warranty, and any other extended warranty, is dependent on several factors, including the age of your vehicle and mileage of your vehicle.
CARCHEX makes it easy for you to find out what your cost would be by allowing you to receive a free, customized quote on its website.
This is helpful because it allows you to compare the cost of a CARCHEX warranty versus other providers.
Our review team has found that on the whole, CARCHEX provides competitive pricing that beats most of its competitors.
However, we still recommend that you receive quotes from multiple providers if the cost of your extended warranty is an important factor in your decision on which provider to work with.
Our review team has found both positive and negative reviews for CARCHEX online. This is common with companies in every industry, but reading a sampling of reviews can still be helpful.
CARCHEX holds an “Average” rating based on its 1,309 customer reviews on Trustpilot. Even with its average rating, we still think CARCHEX is an excellent provider due to its industry partnerships, BBB rating, and national media recognition. But, if a high customer review rating is very important to you, we recommend Endurance over CARCHEX, which earned a “Great” rating on Trustpilot.
In general, customers compliment CARCHEX’s customer service, but some have issues with the cost of their policy.
“CARCHEX was very helpful in meeting my needs.” – Kenry from Trustpilot
“Great prices and great customer service!!! Would recommend it to anyone looking for an extended warranty on their vehicle.” – Horacio S from Better Business Bureau
“I spoke with Jason the Business Manager at CARCHEX today and he was very helpful in meeting my needs.” – Crystal W from Yelp
“I had some problems with a CARCHEX administrator.” – Rachel Witt from Trustpilot
“I think the cost of the coverage is just a bit steep.” – Don & Lisa from Trustpilot
“Their website says the average cost for my car would be 2700.00 but I was quoted 5700.00.” – Melanie C. from Yelp
CARCHEX has one of the most impressive reputations of any extended warranty provider, earning the following accomplishments:
- Notable industry partnerships: CARCHEX partners with many major players in the industry, including Kelley Blue Book, CARFAX, and Edmunds.com
- A+ rating and accreditation from the Better Business Bureau (BBB): CARCHEX’s strong rating and accreditation demonstrates leadership in the extended warranty industry. Many other providers do not hold BBB accreditation or an A+ rating.
- National media recognition: CARCHEX has been featured by national media outlets such as ABC, Fox News, CBS, NBC, and PBS as an industry expert in consumer automotive protection.
Is CARCHEX Worth It?
Whether CARCHEX is worth it for you or not will depend on your individual situation. For example, if you’d love to keep your current vehicle for several more years, an extended warranty from CARCHEX may be worth it both financially and for peace of mind. On the other hand, if you plan to purchase a different car in the next few years, an extended warranty is probably not worth it since the warranty may not be used enough in that time period to recoup its cost.
We recommend that you read our article on whether extended car warranties are worth it for more guidance on this topic.
For our readers who have decided to purchase an extended warranty, we believe CARCHEX is an excellent choice. The company was named Best Provider by our review team and offers competitive pricing for all five of its coverage levels.