The move from street testing to dedicated facilities for automobiles took place in the early decades of the last century.
Because of what could be the first recall in the industry – copper cooled Chevrolets without radiators in 1923 – General Motors established its Milford, Michigan, proving grounds in 1924 and set about to standardize the testing of vehicles under controlled conditions, work that is still done there.
Packard followed in 1927, as did Studebaker. It took Ford Motor a decade more to catch up with what is now standard practice.
As part of what’s called the “Images of America” series of books from Arcadia Publishing, TheDetroitBureau.com senior editor Mike Davis has culled images from many sources, predominately the National Automotive Historical Collection (NAHC) at the Detroit Public library, and come up with Detroit Area Test Tracks.
This 128-page pictorial history of engineering laboratories — commonly called test tracks — has just gone on sale. It is a quick, easy read.
Moreover, the photos are vivid reminders of the integral role that the automobile and automobility has played in American life.
It’s also a modest celebration of the can-do pioneering engineering spirit that made the United States the “Arsenal of Democracy” during WW2 (another Davis book) and the industrial power it still is today, albeit a waning one.