Only months after Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne ruled out the possibility of spinning off the maker’s high-profile Ferrari brand, that’s precisely what the maker now says it will do – a move that has fired up investors while raising questions about the long-term strategy for the supercar maker.
In an announcement accompany Fiat Chrysler Automobile’s third-quarter earnings report, the maker said it will sell 10% of Ferrari’s shares while the remaining 90% will go the only recently merged FCA’s own shareholders.
The move comes at a significant moment for Ferrari which just last month revealed that long-time chief executive Luca di Montezemolo would step down, apparently as a result of a dispute with Marchionne over the sports carmaker’s direction. It didn’t help that Ferrari also had one of its worst years on the trying Formula One race circuit in decades.
What happens now is something that both loyal “Ferraristas” and investors alike will be watching closely.