Detroit Bureau on Twitter

Posts Tagged ‘automotive interiors’

Maserati Hits the Silk Trail with Fashion House Zegna

Special version of luxurious material to be used for interiors.

by on Jun.16, 2015

Could a silk interior be part of your car's future? It can now if you're buying a Maserati Ghibli.

For luxury car buyers, leather has become an essential status symbol, but working with the upscale fashion house, Ermenegildo Zegna, Maserati is hoping to give its buyers an alternative.

Starting later this year, it will begin offering them the option of cladding the interior of a new Quattroporte sedan in silk. Not the ordinary silk used in a Zegna suit, but a special, heavy-duty version that the partners promise will last at least as long as conventional leather and other materials.

The Leader in Global Automotive News!

“I was skeptical,” recalled Maserati CEO Harald Wester, when Zegna first approached the car company with the idea of using silk for seating. “My immediate reaction was this guy is nuts.” (more…)

Auto Interior Behemoths Merge in Joint Venture

Johnson Controls spins off business to Chinese-owned company.

by on May.19, 2014

Alex Molinaroli, left, Johnson Controls chairman and chief executive officer, and Shen Jianhua, Yanfeng chairman, seal the deal on their new joint venture.

In a deal that is emblematic of how the rapid growth of the auto industry in China is changing the landscape, Johnson Controls is spinning off part of its collection of automotive assets to form a new joint venture with an expanding Chinese company that will focus on automotive interiors.

JCI and Yanfeng Automotive Trim Systems Co. Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of Huayu Automotive Systems Co., Ltd. (HASCO), the component group of Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp. (SAIC), announced they had signed a definitive agreement forming the new venture where Yanfeng will hold a 70% stake and JCI the remaining 30%.

Around the World with TDB!

The noncash transaction creates the largest automotive interiors company in the world with annual revenues of approximately $7.5 billion. (more…)

Spending More and More Time Behind the Wheel, Motorists Want Upgraded Auto Interiors

It’s all in the details, designers suggest.

by on May.29, 2013

GM made the interior of the 2014 Corvette Stingray one of its highest priorities in the development of the new C7.

If you haven’t bought a car in recent years, you may be in for a surprise to discover the way the demands for greater fuel-efficiency, connectivity and fashion are transforming vehicle interiors.

“There is a coolness factor involved,” Johann Jungwirth, president and chief executive officer of Mercedes-Benz research and Development in Silicon Valley. “The basic ability to connect digitally is important,” particularly for younger consumers not only in the U.S. but in Europe and China, which has spawned a major research effort on the part of Mercedes.

Your Source for Auto News!

The ultimate goal is to find apps that enhance the driver’s needs without compromising safety, Jungwirth told the Wards Auto Interiors Conference.

Mike VanNieuwkyuk, executive director of global vehicle research at J.D. Power & Associates, noted motorists now spend more time in their cars but are also being pressed to use the smart phone technology to be more productive while they are commuting. Consumers want the same access to connected technology in their vehicles they have in the home or office.

(more…)